About

Mbengwi, Ku Populations Reject Creation of Mbengwi-Teghenibi Fondom


The population at the Mbegwi Palace, rejecting the creation of a new village


Hundreds of people from Mbengwi and Ku villages in Momo Division, North-West Region of Cameroon, have strongly rejected the recent creation of a new village known as “Mbengwi-Teghenibi.” The population says the process used in creating the new village was unfair, illegal, and carried out without consultation with the traditional authorities and the people concerned.

On Friday, 22 May 2026, sons and daughters of Mbengwi started gathering at the palace of the Fon of Mbengwi where a message from the Fon’s palace was read to the population. The message was clear; that they're are not against the creation of new villages, but they opposed the way the process was handled.

Bar Ndango Tah Calvin, speaking on behalf of the Fon of Mbengwi

Speaking on behalf of the Fon of Mbengwi, Barrister Ndangoh Tah Calvin said the creation of the new village showed “blatant disrespect” because no consultation was done with the Fon, the traditional council, or the people of Mbengwi before the decision was taken. He stressed that the community only wants transparency, fairness, and respect for traditional authority.

According to information gathered, Mbengwi village was originally founded by seven main families, and the Teghenibi family is one of those founding families. However, the new prefectoral order allegedly allocates almost four-fifths of Mbengwi land to the newly created Mbengwi-Teghenibi village, leaving only one-fifth for the remaining six families. Many residents believe this division is unfair and dangerous for peace and unity in the community.

The disputed Prefectoral Order 

The controversial prefectoral order, identified as Order No. 49/2025/PO/DO/SP, was reportedly signed on 23 December 2025. However, according to the population, the document only became public through social media shortly before the National Day celebrations of 20 May 2026. This raised serious questions among the population why such an important administrative decision remained hidden for several months.

The anger of the population increased further after a group known as the Mbengwi Teghenibi Cultural and Development Association marched publicly during the 20 May celebrations. Many people interpreted the march as confirmation that plans for the new village had already been finalized without involving the wider community.







At the same time, sons and daughters of Ku village also gathered at the palace of their Fon to reject the creation of what they described as a new third-class fondom without consultation with the Fons of Ku and Mbengwi. The two communities later joined together in a peaceful protest march toward the office of the Senior Divisional Officer (SDO) of Momo Division.

Before the march continued, the Mayor of Mbengwi, Ndangsa Kennedy, was asked by the population whether he had knowledge of the creation of the new village. The mayor publicly denied any involvement and stated that the village was created without his consent. He later signed a petition demanding the cancellation of the prefectoral order.

The peaceful protest included traditional rulers from other villages as well as the President of the Meta Fons Union, His Royal Majesty, Prof Fombo. Protesters carried peace plants, the effigy of the Head of State, and flags of the Republic to demonstrate that their action was peaceful and patriotic.

However, when the crowd arrived at the SDO’s office, security forces blocked them from entering. The protesters were informed that they did not have authorization from the Divisional Officer (DO) of Mbengwi Central Subdivision to carry out the protest. Even after the Fons proposed forming a smaller delegation to meet the SDO, the security forces reportedly refused to allow access to the office of the Senior Divisional Officer, Fouda Etabe Benoit Nicaise.

Following the refusal, the Fons and their supporters proceeded towards the Abi River, which serves as an important entrance into Mbengwi. There, they performed a rare traditional rite intended to condemn and curse those accused of causing division and evil in the community. During the ritual, a calabash containing palm wine was broken, and members of the population threw stones at the broken calabash while dropping their peace plants at the site.

Further allegations surrounding the issue have increased tensions within the community. Some persons claim that an elite of the subdivision, Dr. Ndang Kenneth, played a major role in influencing the creation of the new fondom. According to allegations contained in the memorandum submitted by concerned sons and daughters of Mbengwi, Dr. Ndang Kenneth allegedly used gifts, money, and vehicles to influence certain traditional rulers and administrative authorities. The memorandum also alleges that a Prado vehicle was offered to the SDO and that other vehicles were distributed to some traditional rulers. These claims have not been officially confirmed.

The memorandum further explains the historical background of Mbengwi village. According to the document, there was a long-standing dispute in the past between the Teghenibi family and the Njokem family over the traditional throne of Mbengwi. The matter was eventually settled by the Meta Traditional Court, which recognized the Njokem family as the legitimate custodians of the throne. Since then, the different families have reportedly lived peacefully together under the recognized traditional structure, and Mbengwi has had nine successive generations of Fons.

The Fondom of Ku and Mbengwi expressed concern that the creation of the new fondom could destroy this long-standing peace and create unnecessary division at a time when the North-West Region is already facing insecurity linked to the Anglophone crisis. They warned that allowing one family to obtain its own fondom within Mbengwi could encourage other families to make similar demands, leading to more conflict in the future.

The memorandum also raises concerns that the lands assigned to the new village reportedly include ancestral lands of the Njokem family, sacred shrines, cultural heritage sites, and traditional farmlands that have historically belonged to Mbengwi village.

The memorandum further alleges that there may be attempts to influence the ongoing population census in order to increase the population figures of the newly created village. This, the Memorandum insists, could later be used to justify upgrading the new fondom to a second-class or even first-class fondom because it occupies most of the urban area of Mbengwi.

The Fon of Njindom, His Royal Majesty Prof. Fombo, also criticized the actions of the administration. He stated that the peace enjoyed in Mbengwi today is due to the peaceful nature of its people rather than the activities of security forces.

At the end of the memorandum, the concerned sons and daughters of Mbengwi called on the administration to urgently withdraw or cancel the prefectoral order creating Mbengwi-Teghenibi. They appealed for peace, justice, unity, and proper consultation in any future discussions concerning the creation of additional fondoms in the area.

The population insists that while they are not against development or the creation of new villages, any such process must involve dialogue, transparency, consultation with traditional authorities, and respect for the history and unity of Mbengwi.

By

Ndi Tsembom Elvis 

Post a Comment

0 Comments